Football world cup was the most widely viewed sports event. The 2018 FIFA World Cup was the 21st FIFA World Cup which was hosted by Russia. In this whole tournament, 32 teams participated for the different matches. In total, they have scheduled 64 matches for the tournament.
Here in this article, we’ve listed some interesting World Cup facts for you about the 2018 World Cup in Russia:
- 2 December, 2010 Russia, for the first time in its history, was granted the right to host the FIFA World Cup.
- 2018 FIFA World Cup tournament took place in Russia from June 14 to July 15, 2018.
- 32 teams will take part in the competition. Russia and 13 national teams would represent European zone (Russia was automatically qualified for the Championship as the host country), five national teams from African zone, and ten from Asia and South America, and three from North American zone. Another two tournament tickets will be decided in play-offs.
- The FIFA Cup matches will be held in 11 cities: Moscow (where they have hosted the final of the cup), Saint Petersburg, Ekaterinburg, Kazan, Samara, Volgograd, Nizhny Novgorod, Saransk, Rostov-on-Don, Kaliningrad, Sochi
- France national football team beat Croatia by the 4-2 difference on final.
- Luka Modrić became the best player of the tournament and Modric wins Golden Ball.
- The 2018 World Cup will be Russia’s 11th World Cup appearance. Their highest ever finish was 4th place in 1966.
- With six goals, Harry Kane became only the second English player to ever win the Golden Boot, after Gary Lineker in 1986.
- Kylian Mbappe named best young player and Golden Glove to Thibaut Courtois.
- 3.2 billion people (almost half of the world’s population) tuned in to watch the 2014 World Cup.
- According to the research Russia’s 2018 World Cup costs grow by $600 million. MOSCOW (AP).
- One of the venues for the 2018 World Cup, Fisht Stadium in Sochi, is the same stadium that hosted the opening and closing ceremonies at the 2014 Winter Games.
- From 17 June to 2 July 2017 Russia will host another FIFA tournament– the Confederations Cup. 8 teams will participate: Russia as a host country of the 2018 FIFA World Cup, Germany as the current world champion, Australia as the winner of the 2015 Asia Cup, Chile as the winner of the 2015 Copa America, Mexico as the winner of play-off match between the winners of the 2013 and 2015 Golden CONCACAF Cup, New Zealand as the winner of the 2016 OFC Nations Cup and Portugal as the current champion of Europe. Another participating country will be determined only on February 5, 2017; it will be the national team who wins the African Cup of Nations.
- In October of 2014, the FIFA unveiled the brand identity of the World Cup and its official emblem, designed in a form of the principal trophy – the world cup. The principal theme of the World Cup Russia is a dream and the cosmic outer space exploration, enlivened with folk motives featuring Firebirds, Matryoshkas, and folk patterns.
- Wolf Zabivaka™ designed by student Ekaterina Bocharova won the right to be the 2018 World Cup mascot. The main symbol of the tournament was chosen via online voting.
- Volunteers will be assisting in the process of managing and hosting the FIFA World Cup and the Confederations Cup. They will receive special training for 20 functional directions. The organizers plan to include over 5 thousand people for hosting the FIFA Confederations Cup 2017 and about 15 thousand people in the 2018 FIFA World Cup. About 20 thousand volunteers will take part in the program entitled City Volunteers.
- The 2018 FIFA World Cup and each host city will be represented by elected ambassadors – famous people who were either born in those cities or are somehow related to them. The ambassadors of the World Cup promote sports and healthy lifestyle and promote the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
- Apart from football matches, guests will also be able to visit FIFA Fan Fests – special events organized by FIFA. These are officially dedicated areas to watch Confederations Cup 2017 matches, where everyone unable to come to the stadium is welcome to join the fun. This is the perfect way to safely and conveniently watch live coverage of the games between the best teams in the world.