A flowchart is actually a graphical representation of a computer program in relation to its sequence of functions. Which will help the programmer to draw out the basic build block and working mechanism of the program or the system?
In the flowchart, we generally use geometric symbols like a rectangle, oval shapes and arrows to define the relationships. In simple terms, it will explain the start and end of the program.
Check out more articles:
- Advantages And Disadvantages of Third Generation Computer
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Second Generation Computer
- Advantages And Disadvantages of First Generation Computer
- Difference Between Primitive and Non-Primitive Data Types
Let’s drill down the advantages and disadvantages of the flowchart.
Advantages Of Flowchart
- It is a convenient method of communication.
- It indicates very clearly just what is being done, where a program has logical complexities.
- A key to correct programming.
- It is an important tool for planning and designing a new system.
- It clearly indicates the role-played at each level.
- It saves the inconveniences in future and serves the purpose of documentation for a system.
- It provides an overview of the system and also demonstrates the relationship between various steps.
- Facilitates troubleshooting.
- It promotes logical accuracy.
- It makes sure that no logical path is left incomplete without any action being taken.
Disadvantages Of Flowchart
- The flowchart is waste of time and slows down the process of software development.
- The flowchart is quite costly to produce and difficult to use and manage.
- Flowcharts are not meant for man to computer communication.
- Sometimes the Complex logic of the program logic is quite complicated to draw out on by using different defined shapes. In that case, flowchart becomes complex and clumsy. This will become a pain for the user, resulting in a waste of time and money trying to correct the problem
- If you need to modify or alternate the process then it will be very hard to do in the flowchart. Because either you will have to erase the end of the flowchart or start.