Let’s discuss the advantages and disadvantages of fourth generation computer and it’s history. The period of the fourth generation was from 1971-1980.
Computers of the fourth generation used Very Large Scale Integrated (VLSI) circuits. VLSI circuits having about 5000 transistors and other circuit elements with their associated circuits on a single chip made it possible to have microcomputers of the fourth generation.
- Advantages And Disadvantages of First Generation Computer
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Second Generation Computer
- Advantages And Disadvantages of Third Generation Computer
While third generation computers saw the use of integrated circuits in building computers, the fourth generation is characterized by the increased number of circuits, allows more data to be stored on a memory chip. Large Scale Integration (LSI) and very large scale integration (VLSI), allows memory chips having thousands of storage locations.
Fourth generation computers have a microprocessor, which has serial numbers. The serial numbers indicate the capability of computer and speed as well.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Fourth Generation of Computer
Advantages Fourth Generation of Computer
- They were developed for totally general purpose use (general purpose computers).
- Smaller in size and much reliable than other generations of computer.
- The heat generation was negligible.
- No cooling system required in many cases of fourth generation computer.
- Portable and cheaper than the older versions.
- Fourth generations computer were much faster than the older generations.
- Graphics User Interface (GUI) technology was exploited to offer more comfort to users. PCs became more affordable and widespread during this period.
- Less repairement time and maintenance cost.
- They were developed for commercial production as well.
- All types of High-level languages can be used in this type of computers
Disadvantages of Fourth Generation of Computer
- The very advanced technology was required to fabricate to the ICs (Integrated Circuits).
- High quality and reliable system or technology can only make the ICs.
- Cooler is required (Fan)
- The latest technology is required for the manufacturing of Microprocessors.
Wrapping it up
I hope this article helped you in finding the best answer to your question. Please let us know in the comment section if you have any special query to be answered.