Are you or a loved one facing legal troubles and in need of bail?
Understanding the different types of bail bond services offered can be overwhelming. However, you must pick a bail bond that is specific to your situation to help you with this process.
That is why today we will be breaking down the various types of bail bonds and explaining how they work so that you can make an informed decision when choosing a bail bond agent.
What is a Bail Bond?
A bail bond is a surety bond that is posted by a bail agent on behalf of a defendant in order to secure their release from jail.
The bail agent agrees to pay the full amount of the bond if the defendant fails to appear for their court date.
If someone is not able to raise the money themselves to get out of jail on bond, then they will potentially contact bail bondsmen.
They may ask a family member to look locally if they have been arrested in their state, or direct them to go online and search key phrases such as “San Diego Bail Bonds” to put them on the right track.
A surety bond is a type of bail bond service that is typically offered by a bail bondsman.
This type of bond is usually used for defendants who are considered to be high-risk or those who may have difficulty making bail on their own.
With a surety bond, the bail bondsman essentially acts as a guarantor for the full amount of bail, meaning that they will pay the court if the defendant fails to appear for their court date.
A cash bond is when the full amount of the bail is paid in cash to the court.
The benefit of a cash bond is that you will get the money back at the end of the case, as long as the defendant appears for all their court appearances.
The downside of a cash bond is that it can be difficult to come up with the entire amount of bail, and you may have to wait a long time for your money back if the case takes a long time to resolve.
Real estate property bonds are the most common type of bond used.
The equity in the home is used as collateral for the bond.
Benefits of Using Bail Bond Services
You can be released from jail quickly
If you use a bail bond service, you can be released from jail within 24 hours.
You do not have to worry about paying the entire bail amount
If you use a bail bond service, you only have to pay the non-refundable fee upfront.
You do not have to put up any collateral
Your car and your home are safe when you use a bail bond service. This is because the company takes on all of the risks if you fail
How to Choose the Right Bail Bond Service Provider?
Do not just go for the first bail bondmen you come across. It is important to do your background research and see if they are the right fit for what you are up against.
Necessary things to look for –
- Make sure the bail bond service provider is licensed and insured. This will protect you in case anything goes wrong during the bail bond process.
- Ask about the fees involved. Some bail bond service providers charge upfront fees, while others charge a percentage of the total bail amount. Be sure to get all the pricing information in writing before making your decision.
- Find out what kind of support the bail bond service provider offers. Will they help you through the entire process, or just post the bond? Will they be available 24/7 if you have any questions or concerns?
- Ask about their experience. How long have they been in business? Do they have experience with your type of case?
- Get recommendations from people you trust. If you know someone who has used a bail bond service before, ask them for their opinion on who you should use.
Knowing what kind of bail bond services are available to you will stand you in good stead if you need them.
There are a handful of pluses and minuses when it comes to using these services, so you have to take that into consideration before leaping ahead.
If you are ever in a situation where you or someone close to you needs help with posting bail, make sure that you are aware of the different options out there and consider them all closely before choosing one.